Key Facts About Sheffield Hallam University
What accommodation is there at Sheffield Hallam University
Living in halls of residence is the best ways to meet other students and have the time of your life. When applying through Sheffield Hallam you can benefit from:
- A choice of 15 different properties!, which differ in facilities and price, all within walking distance of both campuses (collegiate and city campus)
- Bills fully inclusive with no hidden costs.
- A guaranteed room offer in one of our halls with other Hallam students (as soon as your course offer status is Unconditional Firm (UF).)
- A quick, easy and flexible application processand your under no obligation to accept any room offered
- Access to various support services both in the halls of residence and from SHU itself
1. SHU is Environmentally Friendly
SHU had adopted a great sustainability policy whereby it has received a first class award in independent national rankings of being one of the most green, ethical and sustainable universities, finishing in 14th out of 143 UK universities in the recent People and Planet Green League. 80% of SHU’s waste is recycled and SHU is the only institution in the UK to hold both ISO14001 for environmental management and ISO50001 for energy management, across all of its operations.
2. Quality teaching at SHU
We’re ranked 25th out of 121 universities for ‘value added’ in the Guardian University Guide 2022. This means you’re likely to do better here than students elsewhere with the same A-level or BTEC results.
3. Wallace and Gromit
Nick Park, the creator of Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run, studied Communication Arts at Sheffield Hallam when it was still known as Sheffield City Polytechnic.
4. 5 star rating for SHU!
- SHU have been awarded a maximum five stars in the 2021 QS Stars excellence rating, achieving top marks in almost every category – including teaching, employability, academic development, facilities, and innovation and inclusivity.
5. Cutting Edge technology at SHU
SHU’s Centre of Sports Engineering Research designed a gravity powered snow sledge for the all action speed addict Guy Martin to enable help him to break a new world record..
- Some short months later, SHU helped Guy Martin break another world record time for the fastest downhill speed using a gravity racer.
6. SHU is Old and well established
Founded in 1843 as the Sheffield School of Design, Sheffield Hallam has exercised a powerful impact on the city, region, nation and world. Today we are one of the UK’s largest and most diverse universities: a community of more than 30,000 students, 4,000 staff and more than 200,000 alumni around the world.
8. This Is England
Not only is This is England filmed in Sheffield, but the producer, Mark Herbert, actually studied Film Studies at SHU! He is also the head of Sheffield-based production company, Warp Films, and is also well known for his work on Four Lions, Dead Man’s Shoes and Submarine.
9. Location, Location, Location
With the Peak Distract being less than 5 miles from the centre of Sheffield, you have the best of both worlds; a city to live in and socialise, but with Mother Nature right on your doorstep. SHU even has two different campuses; city campus and collegiate campus. The city campus consists of modern sleek looking buildings, whilst the collegiate campus consists of traditional brick buildings, surrounded by lots of greenery.
10. The Sheffield Hallam University Chancellor
THe Chancellor of SHU used to be Sir RObert Winston, but in more recent times the new chancellor is Baroness Kennedy. Barnoess Kennedy is a leading barrister and internationally renowned human rights champion. She was installed as Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University in a ceremony at Cutlers’ Hall on Thursday 26 July 2018.
11. Sheffield is fast becoming a Digital Hub!
Sheffield is a very technology heavy city with more than our fair share of top companies working here including Mclaren Mercedes, Rolls Royce, ARM Holdings, CAP Gemini, BT Group, Autodesk (autocad etc) and more! Not to mention a good sprinkling of amazing ecommerce marketing agencies! If you are wanting to get into tech then Sheffield really is a great destination! Check more of our Sheffield articles to see what else the city has to offer!